French Onion Pot Roast

French Onion Pot Roast


Ingredients:

Pot Roast
3–4 lb chuck roast 
2 tbsp olive oil 
2 tsp kosher salt 
1 tsp black pepper 
1 tsp garlic powder 
1 tsp onion powder 
1 tsp smoked paprika 
4 large yellow onions, sliced 
4 cloves garlic, minced 
2 cups beef broth 
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce 
1 tbsp soy sauce 
1 tbsp Dijon mustard 
1 tsp dried thyme 
2 bay leaves 

Gravy (Optional) 
2 tbsp cornstarch 
2 tbsp cold water 

Instructions:

Season meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Sear the roast for 3–4 minutes per side until browned.
In Slow Cooker add sliced onions and minced garlic.
Pour in beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, and thyme. Stir gently. 
Place the seared roast on top of the onions. Add bay leaves.
Cover and cook: LOW: 8–10 hours HIGH: 5–6 hours
The roast is done when it shreds easily with a fork. 

Make the Gravy (Optional) 
Remove the roast and keep warm. Whisk together cornstarch and cold water. Stir into the cooking juices. Cook on HIGH for 10–15 minutes until thickened. 

To Serve 
Slice or shred the roast. Spoon the caramelized onion gravy over the beef.
Garnish with fresh parsley if desired. 

Serving Suggestions
Creamy mashed potatoes, buttered egg noodles, steamed rice, roasted vegetables. Crusty bread for dipping.

Refrigerate for up to 4 days. Freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight container.

Prep Time 20 minutes, Cook Time 8–10 hours, Servings 6–8*

*Or 4 servings if your husband is like mine! Actually my pot roast was only about 2.5 lbs.

Patti's Notes:
This was completely delicious! Super tender and full of flavor. 

My Alterations: 
I didn't sear the roast in olive oil. My slow cooker has a sear setting and I just put the meat in with no added fat.
After it seared I took it out and set aside. I put in the sliced onions, put the roast back in the slower cooker, and followed the rest of the instructions - except I didn't do the cornstarch gravy. 
I served it over noodles. 

I will definitely make it again. Next time probably over mashed potatoes.

~Source - My sister sent it to me but I don't know the original source. 

Comments