Marry Me Chicken Soup
Soup FAIL - See Day After Notes at the end.
Not to worry my Happily Single Friends. This soup comes with no strings attached!
Ingredients½ cup drained julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil with herbs
1 Tbsp oil from sun-dried tomato jar
1 ½ Cups chopped yellow onion
1 Tbsp oil from sun-dried tomato jar
1 ½ Cups chopped yellow onion
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp tomato paste
2 (32-ounce) packages chicken broth
1 Cup heavy whipping cream
4 tsp chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish (optional)
2 tsp kosher salt
1 ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp crushed red pepper, plus more for garnish
8 ounces uncooked medium shell pasta
3 cups packed roughly chopped fresh baby spinach
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
8 ounces cream cheese, cubed, at room temperature
1 ½ ounces Parmesan cheese, finely shredded, plus more for garnish
Directions
Gather all ingredients.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil from sun-dried tomatoes in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until softened.
Add tomato paste and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook, stirring constantly, until tomato paste is incorporated.
Stir in broth, cream, basil, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil over medium, stirring occasionally.
Add pasta and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, about 12 minutes.
Reduce heat to low. Add spinach, chicken, cream cheese, and Parmesan. Cook, stirring often, until cream cheese and Parmesan are melted and chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes.
Garnish with additional Parmesan, basil, and crushed red pepper. Serve immediately.
Patti's Alterations: I used one medium onion, the entire 6 oz can of tomato paste, dried basil, small shell pasta, skipped the spinach because I don't like it, the whole rotisserie chicken minus the legs and wings. I forgot to buy a wedge of Parmesan so I used the grated variety instead. I did not add additional garnishes.
| After it sat about an hour, the pasta absorbed the broth and made more like a stew! By the next day it was more like a casserole. |
Patti's Alterations: I used one medium onion, the entire 6 oz can of tomato paste, dried basil, small shell pasta, skipped the spinach because I don't like it, the whole rotisserie chicken minus the legs and wings. I forgot to buy a wedge of Parmesan so I used the grated variety instead. I did not add additional garnishes.
Day After Notes: I'd say this is a fail for soup, unless you serve the entire pot as soon as it's ready. By morning there was no soup broth. It's more like a creamy casserole. It's still good.
If you want soup, it would be better to cook the pasta separately. Add a serving of cooked pasta to a bowl and then add the creamy chicken soup mixture. Store the pasta separately from the soup. Assembly required for leftovers!
If you want soup, it would be better to cook the pasta separately. Add a serving of cooked pasta to a bowl and then add the creamy chicken soup mixture. Store the pasta separately from the soup. Assembly required for leftovers!
~Source: I saw this one scrolling around on SM and found the recipe on Allrecipes
Comments
Post a Comment